Friday, August 31, 2012

Here I Am Lord to Do Your Will...Bolivia Here I Come



A few days ago I read this bible quote and it inspired the title of my blog and of my mission work this year:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:1-2

I wrote this poem during orientation in New York, believe it sums up my call to do mission work, and wanted to share it with everyone:

Everything in life 
and in death is a gift
a beautiful, glorious, and challenging
gift from God
sometimes disguised 
in a painful hardship 
sometimes through the 
word of a friend
and occasionally 
through a dream
 or in a simple rose 
all are messages
from God
reminding us of 
His love
our call
His desire for us to 
kneel before Him and say 
"Thank you because even though 
You do not need me 
to do anything
you have chosen me
you have blessed me
with this amazing opportunity 
and so 
'Here I am Lord to do Your will'
I'm here to answer your call
to hand over the little I have 
and especially these hands
which through You
and only You 
can do great things, 
This heart which
You have made to
be filled with your love
so that I may
love You and Your children,
and this whole life 
following You
to whatever You call me
and wherever You lead me
letting You love me
surrendering all things to 
Your control
Letting you show me
what I need most
to serve you best
and give me 
grace and openness 
to receive it 
willingness 
to embrace it
and peace knowing
that it is You
I receive at mass
it is You that I see
in every child 
it is You I see in those
that are hardest to love
and refuse to change
it is You I see in
every moment 
every tear 
every smile
every good bye 
every hello
every old friend 
and all the new friends
You are there
living 
loving 
waiting 
for every yes 
and forgiving 
in every no 
never leaving us alone
always there in our
minds 
heart
souls.

Today I leave the United States and am heading to Bolivia for a year to start my mission work as a Salesian Lay Missioner (SLM - for more information visit: http://salesianlaymissioners.org/home/). I will be living, working, and tutoring at Hogar Maria Auxiliadora which is an all girls orphanage in Itocta, a farming community which is 45min outside of Cochabamba. The girls are ages 7-18 and are there for a variety of reasons. More than anything though, my job is to be a loving presence to the girls. I feel so very blessed to be called and gifted with this work and to set off on this amazing adventure. Please pray for me as I journey waaaayyyyy down south and as I begin my mission work. As soon as I have internet access in Bolivia I will post an update or at least let everyone know that I made it! God Bless you! St. John Bosco and Mary Help of Christians Pray for us! 

~Michelle~


No comments:

Post a Comment